Saturday, April 4, 2009
Thank you Rage. I did indeed want Madonna's Burning Up to greet me this morning. Because this has to be one of the best lyrics ever, particularly when you know who uttered it.

Do you wanna see me down on my knees?
Or bending over backwards now would you be pleased?
Unlike the others I'd do anything
I'm not the same, I have no shame
I'm on fire.

I like the 'on fire' bit. It's both flip and elemental. Cool. And you know she means 'I'd do anything', unlike Don't pretend you're not hungry/ I've seen it before/ I've got Turkish Delight baby and so much more.... Gross... In the realm of sexual metaphor, what exactly is turkish delight?

PS Note Christopher Ciccone as backup dancer in The Tube clip...

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Turkish Delight just conjures up... stickiness. Eww. Burning Up is indeed awesome. Get into the Groove and Borderline also favourites of mine for similar reasons - simple but very effective lyrics and OMG when they come on you can dance, for inspiration.

Guy said...

I always found that line odd -- I couldn't quite grasp the idea of dancing... for inspiration. But I guess if I'm thinking that literally about it I'm missing the point somewhat. But yes, turkish delight does conjure stickiness, which is unpleasant on many levels.